Friday, April 7, 2017

Victim's Strength During Victims' Week

Hello there everyone. It's nice to you all back on Frida "Fridays" on my blog.

This past week has very hectic and busy, and as a result, I went in to my internship four times this week. (although one of the days wasn't the actual internship facility, I'll get more into that later...) Also, I'd like to mention that this week (April 3rd-8th) is National Victims' Rights Week, a week to recognize those who have dedicated their lives to advocating and fighting for victim rights as well as the expansion of victim rights.

Over the last weekend, my on-site mentor sent me an email about a parole hearing that would take place on that Monday. For this reason I decided to go and check out this specific hearing.

Monday

Upon arriving to my internship Monday morning, I was a little startled with the sight of two victims nervously awaiting and strategizing with the victim advocate in anticipation of the parole hearing. I did not get much time to ask about the case or anything because moments after I arrived,  everyone rushed to the courtroom since the hearing was about to start. Now for some backstory, the two victims there were actually siblings to the actual murdered victim and were there to represent the will of their sister as well as represent the safety concerns of the community. Luckily for these victims, they were blessed with the unexpected opportunity of having a attorney from the attorney general's office there to advocate for the community's safety. Originally, the inmate and the victim were married since the victim was 14 and the inmate was 17 (because she got pregnant). To all it was unexpected what this rushed marriage would entail, but to the victim, it would turn into 15 years of physical and emotional abuse... Once the victim tried to seek help and move away from her abuser, the situation became deadly with the inmate coming to her house and shooting the victim, a random bystander, and then himself in attempts to take his own life. Two surgeries and one trial later, and he was only convicted for second degree murder and aggravated assault instead of first degree murder. After the board heard from both the victims and the attorney, they came to the conclusion to deny his chances at parole.

Tuesday

Tuesday was not an actual day spent at the office because it was actually the day in which a banquet/award ceremony type event would take place. At this event, there were a few keynote speakers like the governor, the attorney general, and other government officials who were there to acknowledge the efforts of different departments and present awards. The Victim Services (where my internship is) actually won an award for advocacy. It was definitely interesting, to say the least, to hear how far victims' rights have come overtime, and also to see how much farther victims' rights needs to grow... Anyways that pretty much sums up my Tuesday...

Wednesday

I don't know why this keeps on happening to me, but Wednesday was just another blur...

Thursday

My day was mostly spent watching a few revocation hearings before I had to leave early... I wish I didn't leave early because as soon as I left there was a hearing for a man who brutally murdered and raped two little girls (7 and 8 years old) along with cutting them up completely. Now this hearing was to see whether this man should be granted general parole since he had some how been let out for home arrest (to me that's actually insane!!). Apparently the board was appalled by the fact that he was on home arrest and were trying to figure out a way to reverse it . I don't know that is all I heard..

Well, that pretty much wraps up my week, I hope you enjoyed reading it and sorry for the delay

- Frida

12 comments:

  1. Hey Frida! You mentioned that the victims were nervously strategizing, but you didn't have time to ask what about -- do you have any inclinations about what they could have been discussing, based on your past experiences at this internship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frida! I can't believe it's one of the last weeks of your project already!! What was your favorite part of the parole hearing, and what did you find most interesting or surprising about the experience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frida! Great blog post! Looking back, which parole hearing would you say was the most eye opening/interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Frida! Great detailed plan of your past week! I have been wondering this for a while actually. Are you being paid as an intern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Timmy! Thanks for your descriptive response! As for your question goes, no, I do not get paid...

      Delete
  5. Hi Frida! I can't believe your project is already wrapping up. These cases are always shocking to me. What was one of the most interesting cases you watched?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Frida. I'm really surprised how many shocking cases there are when you are there. i cant believe that guy who brutally murdered the two kids is trying to get parole. I was also wondering what case you found the most interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Frida! Thanks for giving us a lot of details in regards to your hearings, they are always so interesting. Why do you think the first inmate was only convicted of second degree murder? From hearing his plead for parole, would you have tried to reverse his house arrest sentence or not? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frida! It sounds like you had a very hectic week. Your research sounds very facilitating. I cannot wait to read your next post, even thought they are coming to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Frida! You certainly did have an eventful week. Wow, SRPs are almost done. I hope you don't miss your internship too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Frida! Wow every blog post seems to be more and more eye opening as to how certain judicial practices can be reformed. Good luck with finishing up that presentation and look forward to reading more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Frida!
    This week seems like it was pretty intense. What do you think is the best part of The Victim Services?

    ReplyDelete