Friday, February 10, 2017

My First Take from the Inside

Hello Everybody, I hope you all had a great week (especially Frida Friday) so far.

Thank you for those who are tuning back to my blog! It's nice to know I have somewhat of an audience...

As some of you might know, this was my first official week interning at the Arizona Victim Services, and let me tell you, there already is a lot more that goes on than what people expect. For instance, coming into this research project, I had no idea what the difference between parole and probation was or the difference between prison and jail (or that there was even a distinction to be noted).

For those of you who don't know (it's okay if that's you, that was literally me last week), one would be sentenced a period of probation instead of prison or jail time while one would go on parole upon his/her release from prison, and jail is typically in a local law enforcement/ government facility where someone would be held in anticipation to a trial or sentencing where as prison is where you will complete your sentenced time...


(I hope that made sense, if you have more questions or didn't understand it, please comment them below).

During the past few days that I have been at my internship, I have had the opportunity to  be an active observer. Now I know what you may be thinking, 'Frida, where are you going with this, what do you even mean?', well, let me explain.

In the mornings, I sit in and watch the revocation hearings.

So, what are these hearings?

Basically, if someone violates the terms of his/her parole, s/he is put back in prison, and then must face a hearing in which the Board of Executive Clemency will determine whether s/he should have another chance at parole or finish his/her sentence in prison.

How do the revocation hearings work?

The revocation hearings are held in a small court room where either supervised video-chats or phone calls are utilized in order for the Board of Executive Clemency to directly speak to the inmate and hear the reasoning that s/he have for violating the terms of his/her parole. These inmates can also have an attorney or have character witness advocate for them in person in the courtroom, but from what I have seen this is rare because I have yet to see an inmate have a lawyer represent them, and only two inmates of the many that I have seen in their revocation hearings have had family members act as character witnesses.

Once the revocation hearings are over,  I would get a chance to learn more about different cases that are currently happening or read on different reports or even listen in on my on-site mentor speak to victims either over the phone or in person. Listening to these conversations allowed me to see certain things that go on with victims. For starters, once the inmate is released, if the victims sign up to be notified, they will get a notification on the inmates release. But the victims are only allowed to know the general area of the inmates whereabouts. Along with that, they can file an order of protection. But from what I know so far (which is probably not enough to come to any conclusions), I feel like this is not enough to ensure the safety and mental sanity of the victims.

So far this has been my experience, make sure to tune in every Frida Friday (and don't worry I'll try harder to post earlier in the day)

Thanks for joining me

-Frida



20 comments:

  1. Frida! I too learned definitions this week. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Phoenix and can't wait to hear from you next Frida Friday! Also, I love the gif you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I can't wait to read more about you blog too!!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Frida! So why would a hypothetical person be sentenced to probation instead of jail time? Its very cool that you get to listen in on hearings, keep us updated on any new stories please! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frida! Your internship sounds really interesting, and it seems like you're getting a really close look at everything that goes on at your site. I really like that you started out with the distinctions between parole and probation and prison and jail. They're words that I hear quite a bit but never really understood the difference between, and I think that reflects how deceptively complicated the issue that you're dealing with is.

    Can't wait for more updates (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Frida! This all so super interesting. I had a question when you mentioned family members acting as character witnesses. Can you further define, "character witnesses" And is having a family member account for your innocence just as valid as having another person do it or do judges (or those making the decision) take bias into consideration? Looking forward to next Frida Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frida,
    The definitions were really insightful, finally clarified the difference between parole and probation, the fact that victims can only know the general area of the perpetrator was an interesting fact, and my question is how general is the location information?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magna, I'm glad that the definitions provided you with a certain level of clarity. Lets say that an inmate's address is p Sherman 42 wallaby way Sydney, Australia, the victim is allowed to know if the inmate lives in central Sydney or whatever the general area the inmate would living in is.

      I hope that made sense.

      Delete
  6. Hi Frida! It sounds like you're getting a great deal of interesting insight into the convicted and their lives in prison! (Hoping I used the right one..) Also, why do you think the majority of the inmates haven't invoked their right to a lawyer? Looking forward to the next Frida Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taylor (you totally did haha)! As for your question, I feel like most inmates go into the revocation hearing already believing that the board will revoke them because either they have a few months left of their sentence or usually because they have absconded supervision (parole) for a few months or also because they have violated parole many times. Looking forward to your next comment!

      Delete
  7. Hi Frida! Im glad you are having so much fun at your internship! What has been your favorite part of this experience so far and how beneficial would it be for the inmates to have an attorney during their revocation hearing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback Rachel! As of right now, my favorite part is definitely the revocation hearings because it is interesting hearing the various excuses the inmates have for violating their parole. Right now I am not so sure how beneficial an attorney would be, but hopefully I witness attorney rep soon or I can ask next week.

      Delete
  8. Hey Frida. Your internship looks very fun and productive. I was wondering, as Grace stated above, how would one get probation instead of jail time? Also, why are the hearings through calls instead of in person? I'm glad to hear updates, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi josh, it honestly depends on the crime... Some people can be sentenced to both jail and probation, however jail can only last one year, whereas probation is usually 4-5 years (depending on the crime). If the crime that was committed had multiple counts, sometimes a person is sentenced to prison and then will have to serve probation because one of the counts was dropped to attempted instead of "convicted"... I hope that made sense... If you have more questions please reply to this comment or i might have a better explanation in someone else's comment as many of you asked similar questions...

      Delete
  9. Hi Frida! It was really enjoyable reading about your experience because I know as a reader it has helped me learn more about your research topic as well as about the entire indictment process. Also you mentioned that victims know the general vicinity of inmates when they are released, so with that in mind do you believe victims should know the inmates exact location? Why or why not? Anyways, look forward to following you on your journey through this awesome judicial project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kayvon, thanks for your comment. As of right now, I feel that the victim deserves as much information as there is available because it allows the victim to have chance to take precaution, but with the way that the rules are in place now, the victim still faces reoccurring fear.

      Delete
  10. Hi Frida! I love your continued use of gifs, as they really spice up your blog. I had absolutely no idea there was a difference between a prison and a jail, and I probably would have never known that. How does someone receive probation over jail time? Is it the seriousness of the crime or the outcome of the trial? Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm excited to see your progress next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must say that I was almost moved to tears to see that Frida Friday continues to be celebrated through your blog. I must also comment on what a beautiful background you have! It sounds like you have already learned so much at your internship site, and I am excited to hear more about your experiences. I hope you consider vlogging at least once throughout your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ms. Conner!!! I must continue with the "Frida Friday" legacy, it is my duty. Thank you so much for leaving such a wonderful comment, I many in fact do a vlog dedicated to you, you just have to stay tuned ;)

      Delete
  12. Hi Frida!!! I really enjoy reading your blog and learning about the justice system like the difference between jail and prison. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete