Friday, February 24, 2017

Confidential Business

Hello Universe! Welcome to another Frida Friday, I'm glad to see that you have decided to tune back in to my blog!


First things first, I don't know if I mentioned this in a previous blogpost, but the reason most of my time at my internship has been spent observing revocation hearings is because parole hearings have been suspended until the middle of march. The reason for this is that there are only two active board members on the Board of Executive Clemency and the two new members are currently training for their new position. Now that that has been cleared up, lets get into what I did this week.


I'm sure you can guess what I did this week, more revocation hearings! Only one inmate did not get revoked this week. Honestly, I found this quite shocking especially since there was another inmate who absconded because he was in a coma, and he still got revoked... In my opinion, I feel like the inmate did not get revoked because his  father  who happened to be well versed was there in the courtroom to vouch for  his son... His father definitely made a good case for him, as the inmate barely spoke on his own behalf. I was a bit conflicted because this was not the inmate's first offense, in fact, it was his fourth time completing a sentence with the Department of Corrections. I honestly do not know what I would have done because, as someone who makes mistakes, I believe in 2nd chances, but do I believe in a fifth chance? That is yet to be determined...

Do not fret, that was not the only eventful moment this week. The very next day, a victim called with a question about counseling, but after speaking with the advocate for a few minutes, the victim brought up some concerning information... As of right now, I am unable to fully disclose what is going on because the Victim Services is currently working to help this victim. As soon as this passes over, I will tell you all more about the case. Sorry for the secrecy.

I have one more update to go over. After conducting the poll last week, I only had 3 individuals participate and because of such, I feel like it might have not been a popular idea so I will not be vlogging...


Thank you all for reading my blog, I hope to see you back next week!

-Frida

14 comments:

  1. Hi Frida,
    The revocation hearings sound interesting, and I have a couple questions. First one is, how did a coma not justify as a reasonable reason to abscond? Second, how often are revocations granted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frida! Thanks for clarifying why you have not been a part of parole hearings as of late. I hope you continue with your awesome work in the revocation hearings so we can continue to gain your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Frida! Do you think its fair the victims are allowed to have someone talk on their behalf as a character witness, or should the victims have more responsibility in defending themselves? I hope you are enjoying your project and your research sounds very interesting so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frida! Happy Sunday-Not-Frida-Friday! You mentioned how you may or may not agree with some of the decisions in previous cases, if you were to go into this field professionally, would you change those decisions? Like for future cases, would you vote otherwise? Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frida! This is extremely interesting to hear your opinions of these hearings coming from the inside! Do you think the victim's father who testified for him was genuine about his son's actions, or do you think his testimony was fluffed a bit? Also, for the victim who requested counseling, is that related to his revocation hearing or no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frida! Wow it really is shocking that only one inmate did not get his parole revoked. I can't wait to hear more about the secretive case. I can't wait to find out what happens to you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Frida. Its unfortunate that there wont be parole hearings for a few weeks. Do you think that if the inmates father did not plead for him, there would be a different result to the case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joshua, I'm pretty sure, from what I've witnessed thus far, that he would have been revoked...

      Delete
  8. Hi Frida! I really like how you include your thoughts on each case. Also how dare you leave us with a cliffhanger. Also you should vlog anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Frida. That's sad there are no parole meetings for a few more weeks but your current work is really interesting. I don't know if I would believe in fifth chances either. I want to hear more about the secret case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nash! I'm happy to see that we are on the same page :).

      Delete