Friday, March 3, 2017

Behind the Scenes

Hey there, Welcome back to another Frida Friday!  I bet you are all on the edge of your seats waiting to read about what happened this week during my internship, I know I would be...


I know some of you are going to be quite surprised but this week I did not sit in and observe a single revocation hearing. For me, week 4 was more consumed with the administrative side of the internship. I helped with the victim notification process along with other things that I will get into.

'What is this notification process?', you may be wondering. Basically, the Victim Services has a data base in which they keep all the information of the victims and of the inmates in prison. Because the job of the Victim Services is to provide a sort of support and representation for victims, the advocates notify the victims when the inmate will be released on parole or released indefinitely, or if the inmate has any upcoming hearings, etc. This is usually done with a letter in the mail and/or a phone call. In the envelope, they include the letter (obviously), a paper defining the different types of releases, a survey, and a brochure (this all depends on what is going on with the inmate). Unfortunately, I cannot assist in the letter writing process since I can't have access to the database because of my age, but I was able to put the letters together and mail them out (I mailed 20+) as well as put the labels on the return envelopes.

Making Stacks

Stacks on Stacks

I also spent a good chunk of my time filling out the statistics of how many victims called in this month on an excel spreadsheet. Although this was quite time consuming, I liked being able to help in that way. I am not sure how much detail I can give away on the stats so I'll just leave you all with that bit of information.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that this upcoming week I will be on my spring break (like some of you) in Mexico, I'm not sure if I'm going to make a post or not so stay tuned for that... 



Also, I noticed that you may not be receiving a notification for when I reply to your comments so please look out for that because I do not want to leave any of you confused or with any questions.

Thank you all so much for coming back to my blog!

See you soon.

- Frida



5 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't get to sit in on a hearing this time, but the victim notification part sounds interesting as well. Is it normal though for a victim to reply back to the notifications they might recieve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that you got to see a wider range of what they do at your site and were involved in the notification process. I hope you have a great spring break and I can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great to see the different aspects of your internship. Please do post for week 5! Also the stacks on stacks of letters were really cool and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to see how expansive the industry is beyond the hearings. Does the logging of all the victims' information take a large team of people? Have fun in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frida! I hope you had a good break after sorting through all those letters :) I like the variety of work you are doing, since a lot more goes on than just meeting with victims. What type of statistics were you looking at (like what type of things were you calculating or observing), if you are able to say any more?

    ReplyDelete